Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tiger hunting, Raj style

There was one photo in the city palace that I wish I'd been able to take. I depicts the Raj on an elephant engaged in a tiger hunt. Considering my prior frustrations and musings about the tiger hunting process, I was very interested in this.

At least from what I could garner from the painting, it looks like the Raj had help. In a circle all along the edge of the painting were depicted hundreds of servants with trumpets. They appear to be walking through the forest, frightening the wildlife ahead of them. The Raj meanwhile sat in a clearing in the middle of this giant noose on top of an elephant with a rifle. He shot the animals he wanted as they appeared from the underbrush.

Pretty sneaky, but its good method if you can do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home