Friday, September 30, 2005

Jama Mosque



Went to the Jama Mosque today, which is the biggest in India. It was very pretty in the setting sunlight. Sadly, I could not take pictures inside so I got this photo of the outside. Imagine that sort of red stone towering into minarettes as the sun sets.

The mosque runs a set of interesting soup kitchens (I think they run them--I wasn’t sure about this). People line up in the street, waiting for someone to come and give a donation. When a donation happens, the appropriate number of people from the line goes in to eat. So for example I gave 10 rupees, and got to see 5 people bumped off the line and into the kitchen. It’s surprisingly satisfying, and you're guaranteed that the money you give is going towards feeding someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home