Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Indian Jokes

Adil, Veronique and I compared jokes from our different countries one evening over coffee. Canadian jokes and American jokes are pretty much the same, which isn't all the surprising. They tell "Newfie" jokes about New Foundlanders where we tell Blond jokes. Some were kinda funny.

But I definately don't get Indian jokes. For example, one which he thought was hilarous:

A man is walking on the street carrying a briefcase and wearing a suit. His friend stops him and asks "So, what are you doing?" Obviously, he's going to work.
A little while later the same man is waiting in line to see a movie. Same friend approaches and asks "So, what are you doing?" Obviously, he's going to see a movie.
Finally, during intermission the man walks into the bathroom, where his friend finds him and asks "So, what are you doing?"

And there the joke ends. You're supposed to infer that he's using the restroom. I *think* is poking fun at people who ask obvious questions, but I'm not sure. Or maybe its obscure potty humor, I dunno. I told the joke back to him to make sure I understood him properly, he howled with laughter.

Another joke he told that was kinda funny was about three wives sitting around discussing the color saree they wear.

One wife says "My husband has black hair, so I wear a blakc saree."
The second wifes says "My husband has white hair so I wear a white saree."
The last wife looks alarmed and says "My husband is bald!"

In fairness he didn't seem to get my jokes either. The puns I could understand; you kinda need a close t0 native grasp on English to get those. I told knock-knock jokes, but even after we explained the pattern, he couldn't tell when the joke ended. I told a few man-walks into a bar jokes, some engineer jokes, even some dead-baby jokes. The humor just rolled off him. I finished with the coup-de-gras, the joke that has been scientifically proven to be the best joke in the world. He didn't even crack a smile. Maybe I need to work on the delivery. Or maybe he was laughing on the inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home