Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Veronique and Adil


This is a picture of Veronique and Adil, two folks I met in Udaipur and traveled to Jodpur with a few days later. Veronique is a medical student from Canada who is taking a year off to travel. Adil works in his family's business making and selling printed textiles.

They're both good people and figure a lot in my travels for a few days. We spent a day in Udaipur hanging out in Adil's shop, just sitting and watching customers come and go. It was neat watching the other side of small-business retail. I'm not sure I could do it myself, but I certainly admired Adil's salesmanship.

Afterwards we went to a number of places where natives congregate and chill. They reminded me a little of German beer gardens, but without alcohol. It was also remarkable because there were people of all ages there, and both genders. The majority of people were there with their entire families. I was reminded of kind of the small town gathering atmosphere which (I percieve) existed in the US back in the 50's. It was really fun.

Also, as you can see, Adil drives the obligatory motorcyle that all Indians in their early 20's seem to drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home