Monday, December 05, 2005

Ellora caves


Went to the Ellora caves north of Bombay. They're phenomenal. Really cool. They're a series of Buddhist, Hindu and Jain Temples cut into the side of a mountain. There are 34 caves in all, along the ridge.

I showed up there at sunrise, with two other Americans I met at the train station. We were the first tourists there, and so got to explore them by ourselves. One of the great things is that you can actually climb up into the temples, wandering around them completely unsupervised.

Just as an aside, the two Americans I met were the FIRST American backpackers I've met this entire trip. And only the second and third from North America. I guess India just is too far to people to travel to...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's also school time in the US. Not _everybody_ has 3 leisurely months to spend traveling the world. ;-)

I guess it's also school time in most other parts of the world, too, so my reasoning falls apart. Oh well.

==
C

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home