Monday, December 26, 2005

Liar Planet?

I’m just gonna spend a few minutes ranting about the lonely planet guide book. Don’t get me wrong, I think travelers to India should pick it up. Having compared it to other guide books I’ve seen backpackers use, its kinda like what Winston Churchill said about democracy: the worst guide except for all others.
But that said, the LP has enough mistakes, typos, and outright fabrications that I’ve heard justifiable reference to it as the “Liar Planet.” For example, every time I have tried to use one of their walking tour maps I’ve gotten lost. I suppose this might reflect on my orienteering skills, except that other packers have the same complaint; you’d expect that once in a while people would stay oriented purely by random happenstance. The maps are so bad that there is a rumor that the LP intentionally edits at least one mistake into every map as a form of copyright protection. I’m very skeptical about this claim, but the fact that it exists at all speaks to the mistakes in the book…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home